Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Awesome Star Wars Blog Award



Rules:

1. Post the Rules and the picture
2. Link back to and the person who gave you this award – Edessa at HoloNet Entertainment Daily (I love ya, girl!)
3. Answer the questions
4. Share your favorite Star Wars picture(s)
5. Give the award to one other Star Wars blogger that you like





The Questions:
1. When did you see Star Wars for the first time?
I must have been four or five years old and at an extended relatives' house.  Ever since then, it was a part of my upbringing.

2. Which movie did you see first?
I can't remember exactly which, because when we were at their house we watched the whole Original Trilogy and then The Phantom Menace, as Attack of the Clones hadn't been released yet.  My guess is that it was A New Hope.

3. Who is responsible for you seeing Star Wars?
My parents!  They loved seeing the Original Trilogy back in the 1970's and 80's and let us watch the movies as we were growing up.  When we were little, we were sheltered from a lot of things and celebrated very few 'fandoms' - Harry Potter had too much sorcery, Bionicle was too dark, and DreamWorks was too raunchy - however, we did get to indulge in three lone franchises....classic Disney, Looney Tunes, and Star Wars.  I have awesome parents!

4. What is the first Star Wars thing you owned?
My brother, sister, and I shared a pair of toy green lightsabers, which we played with until they were both beaten to a pulp.  I can also remember one of my brother's birthday cakes being Star Wars themed, so my parents bought Vader and Luke action figures to decorate...needless to say, we got to keep them afterwards.

5. What made you become a fan?
Probably a major reason is that my parents supported Star Wars all the while.  They never treated it as some bizarre subculture they didn't appreciate or care to understand.  My dad is a minister and a great deep-thinker, so he was always there to pull great spiritual allegories and metaphors out of Star Wars.  So for me, it was always more than just a galaxy far, far away.  Even as a little kid, I was quoting Yoda and Obi-Wan left and right, and wrapping my head around Star Wars-centered Bible studies.  I guess I also like how there's something for everyone in Star Wars - you have the noble warriors, the evil sorcerers, the scruffy-looking nerf-herders, the droids, the Nazi army, and all the creatures varying from adorable to grotesque to the stuff of nightmares.

6. Why did you decide to blog about Star Wars?
I've held an interest/obsession/fascination with the character of Cad Bane for a while now, so one day I thought I might as well start up a blog about him.  I also wanted a way to share my fan art and fanfiction with the worldwide web.  Finally, I wanted to connect to other bloggers :)

7. Which movie is your favorite?
Probably either Revenge of the Sith or The Empire Strikes Back.  There are things I don't like from both of them, but they are also done real well.  I love the emotional intensity and action of ROTS, and ESB took on a dark feel while having lots of great character development.

8. Who is your favourite character?
On the large scale of Star Wars as a whole, I suppose Obi-Wan Kenobi would have to be my all-time favorite.  I love his personality, his character, and his role in the saga.  He is so noble, trustworthy, and pure.  I know lots of people dislike him – heck, so did Alec Guiness himself! - and I can understand why, but he's still my favorite.

9. Favourite villian?

 Cad!  Bane!  Cad Bane!  I love that space cowboy to death!  Definitely my second-favorite character of all time, and my top favorite villain.  But I also have an obsession/fascination with General Grievous, so he definitely holds the title as the second-favorite in that department.  Darth Maul ranked third until they resurrected him in the cartoon, which I am still seething about.

10. What do you think of the Clone Wars cartoons?
Well, it's a cartoon, so it has its cartoonish moments.  There are several elements about it that don't agree with me, such as the way lots of story ideas are being constantly recycled, and the lukewarm voice-acting behind Ahsoka and Anakin's part, which wouldn't be so bad if they weren't in almost every single episode.  I do enjoy other parts of it, though.  For one, lots of emphasis on the clones.  I've always wanted to see more of the Star Wars saga from their perspective and outlook as a whole – part of my heart aches for everything they went through.  I also like all the new things the show reveals about characters we already know, like Anakin or Aurra Sing or Grievous, and takes them to a whole new level.  It is what it is—bridging the gap between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.  Take it or leave it.

11. Which Star Wars book is your favorite?
I've only read four Star Wars books – two EU books, which I didn't like, the Revenge of the Sith novelization, which was so-so, and a Republic Commando novel, which was all right.  I guess I'd have to go with the last one.  My stomach never digested any Star Wars book too well as I can't stand poor literature and wooden dialogue.  But that's just me, the insane writer, talking.

12. If you could pick a group from Star Wars to be in (e.g. Jedi, Sith, Bounty Hunters, Senators, etc.) which you choose?
A is for Always...B is for Bounty Hunter!  Who wouldn't want to be a bounty hunter?  I know I'd love it! :)


13. Would you join the Rebel Legion/501st Legion if you had a costume and/or were the right age?
No, never.  I have nothing against those groups, honestly, but it's not my cup of tea.  Star Wars is cool, but I don't want that big of a chunk of my life dedicated to a fandom.  It's just not for me.

14. Have you ever been to a Star Wars Weekend or Celebration? If so, describe you experience there.
No, I never have.  It would be nice to someday, though I have my doubts it could ever happen.  See my answer above as well.


15. Have you ever met any Star Wars people (actors, George Lucas, John Williams, etc.)?
Unfortunately, no.  I could say I met Chewbacca and Yoda, in a way – a few years back I got to go to a Star Wars musuem exhibit in which a lot of the actual costumes and props were on display.  Included was the Chewbacca suit and the Yoda puppet.  I didn't get their autographs though, it's hard to do that sort of thing when there's an inch-thick glass wall between the two of you.

16. Prequel Trilogy or Original Trilogy?
Ugh, a hard one.  I'd have to the say Original Trilogy because the story was written much better and the dialogue and characters were more real.

17. Jedi or Sith?
Sometimes I like the Jedi, and sometimes I like the Sith.  But I suppose I like the Sith a little more because of their emphasis on one's passion and rage.

18. Do you read Star Wars Insider Magazine?
Nope!  Maybe someday our budget will agree with magazine subscriptions.


19. What is your favourite song/score from any of the six movies?
I definitely love the “Force theme” the most.  I also like “Battle of the Heroes”, “Duel of the Fates”, “Birth of the Twins/Padme's Destiny”, “Padme's Ruminations”, “Anakin's Betrayal”, and the pop music that plays in the Mos Eisley cantina in A New Hope.


20. Which character do you most identify with (not who is your favorite; who are you most like)?
I've often been compared to Padme Amidala.  She stands for what she believes in, she has a compassionate heart, she's kind, but she can get a bit narrow-minded or overly-driven.
I would also say I'm a lot like Qui-Gon Jinn in that he is a peacemaker and was the only one to see the light in Anakin even when everyone else doubted he could be the Chosen One.


21. What is your favorite non-human species in Star Wars?

I really like the Tusken Raiders, Duros, Weequays, Zabraks, and Twi'leks.


22. Do you think Padmé could possibly have been Force-sensitive?
No, I don't think so.  It doesn't make sense.


23. Who is your favorite Expanded Universe character?

I don't know enough Expanded Universe to have a favorite, but from what little I know, maybe Darth Talon?  She does look pretty cool.


24. What lightsaber is your favorite?

Double-wielding lightsabers, I don't care about the color.


25. Do you speak/read/write any Star Wars languages (Basic, Huttese, Mando'a, etc.)?
I know how to insult someone in Huttese, but that's about it.


26. Which lightsaber duel from the movies is your favorite?
I remember the first duel that I honestly loved was Yoda vs. Dooku in Attack of the Clones, because it was the first time we ever saw Yoda in action, and boy was he in it!  The duel between Anakin and Dooku in Revenge of the Sith was a great one, too.


27. What creature is your favorite?
I'm not sure.  Maybe those three creatures Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padme battled in the Geonosian arena in Attack of the Clones.  I've always thought those were awesome.


28. Which is your favorite costume?
Cad Bane's!  I've said this so many times before, but his outfit takes you back to the Old West and really brings out the gunslinger in him.


29. What is your favorite Star Wars quote?
“Fear is the path to the Dark Side.  Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering...I sense much fear in you.” - Yoda
“I'm in control.  I make the rules, now!” - Cad Bane
“You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you.” - Obi-Wan


30. What is on your Star Wars wish list?
-A vintage Cad Bane hat (it would cost me a fortune but would be totally worth it)
-A ticket to see John Williams preform Star Wars music live in concert
-Star Wars: 1313 video game...actually, not quite.  I'm still not 100% sure this game is for me, but as of the moment I really want to play it
-And while I'm dreaming about it, I'd love to write my own episode or two for the live-action Star Wars series Star Wars: Underworld – because Star Wars needs that dark, film noir approach, and we all know that not everything in that galaxy far, far away is family-friendly... ;)

Now for my favorite pictures...!





Finally, I pass on the Awesome Star Wars Blog Award to: James and Jamie from J and J Productions!

8 comments:

  1. I loved your answers! The pictures were hilarious too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome! And your answers and pictures were awesome! I especially like the "Elevader" one! lol! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the answers and pictures! :D
    I can't believe you don't like the EU! :O I love writing and the EU is awesome in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I'm sure the EU *is* awesome, I just never got into it all that much. I didn't enjoy those two specific EU books just because of the writing style and the way they portrayed the characters.

      Delete
    2. Actually, I haven't read any EU books that I liked that were for an older audience. All the ones that I've liked were for little kids. Right know I'm obssessing of Jedi Apprentice and Qui-Gon's second apprentice =D
      I'm wierd, I know...
      I really like Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover, though. But he got some of the dialog wrong during the end duel btwn Ovi-Wan and Anakin, and that bothers me a lot.

      Delete
  4. I loved reading your answers. I'm so glad I started this award. It's so interesting to read about everyone's history w/ Star Wars! :)

    ReplyDelete