Saturday, September 29, 2012

Review for "Revival" - The Clone Wars



SW: I finally got to watch the first episode of Season Five, "Revival", online, so here is my review.  Warning: SPOILERS AHEAD!  (But what else were you expecting?)

Shoot, well, I'm glad I at least got to watch it with my little sister, who likes the show too.  Everyone else in my family was totally indifferent to it, and it's hard for me to get excited about these sort of things when I'm doing it by myself.  My brother, literally, only watches the show for Cad Bane, and refuses to see any episode without him in it.

CB: Hm.  How touching....

SW: Anyway - moving along.

*Ahem*...

First off, if you're not already aware, I still have a hard time forgiving the show for resurrecting Darth Maul.  Before they did, he was my all-time favorite Sith, and now he won't even have the dignity of dying sane.  I'm also still convinced the "new" Maul was a rip-off of Gollum from the Lord of the Rings movies, though that is becoming less so.

However, I still enjoyed the episode and liked it a lot.  It didn't quite live up to what I was expecting or hoping for, but it's only the first episode after all.

What I loved was the return of Hondo Ohnaka!  I always thought he was a cool character - you know, the kind of SW character who could use more screen time - but "Revival" made me, just...augh, Hondo is so awesome.  He had so many lovable lines in this episode, and was so entertaining, but didn't get overly silly for one second.  I think the idea of Maul and Savage going up for - and later against - Hondo was a great move, because they couldn't be anymore different.  While the two Sith bro's are serious, brooding, and set on revenge, Hondo and Co. are a self-admitted insolence and they're proud of it too.  So seeing those very different styles of morale, values, and fighting was very interesting, and awesome, to watch.  Again, Hondo just cracks me up, almost every time he opens his mouth XD.  I'm so relieved they didn't kill him off like they did...

That reminds me.  Yes, I was kind of saddened to see Adi Gallia killed off.  She was a neat character to be tagging along with Obi-Wan.  Although that part did make Savage out to be quite the baddy, which I'm always for.  I don't like the "new" Maul, but I do like Savage.  That dude is flipping cool.  I don't know how else to describe him.  There was also a scene where he seems to start rebelling against Maul's self-appointed authority over him, and gets punished for it, which made me scratch my head at first but on second thought was quite interesting.  So now Maul sees himself as of higher rank than Savage?  I wonder how this will come to play in future episodes.

As for what I didn't like, Maul and Savage didn't exactly seem on top of their game this go round.  I mean, one moment they have pirates on their side, the next they don't.  What's up with that?  Then again, they are pirates.  But they just lost a sense of being as big of a "threat" to the Jedi Order as Obi-Wan insists they are.  If Hondo could come away unscathed after insulting them right to their faces, how will they stand up to Pre Visla and Death Watch?  Not to mention the two of them couldn't lick Obi-Wan...and even though we're talking about Obi-freaking-Kenobi, that seemed a little far-fetched to me.  Those are just my thoughts for now.  I'm sure it's merely an impression of mine that will eventually wear off - but still.

Finally, the ending was really neat.  I do like Savage, and gasped when his arm was cut off by Obi-Wan, but he had it coming.  And I'm a big shipper of bromance moments, so I loved the part when Savage carried Maul to the ship.  It was brief, but still there.  Yeah, it was kind of sweet...
And then there's Palpatine, pulling all the strings and toying with the Jedi without them even knowing it.  I really don't think things are going to end well for either Maul or Savage.

And that's my review of the Season Five premiere "Revival".  If you've seen the episode (which I hope you have since you've read this far), please don't be afraid to share your own thoughts.  What did you like?  What did you hate?  Did it live up to what you were hoping for?  Are you pumped for more "Clone Wars"??




11 comments:

  1. Great review! :D
    My favorite part of the episode was when Obi-Wan cut Savage's arm off; I was really excited about that since Obi-Wan's my favorite characters(but then, you did read my review).:)
    Oh and I'm adding your review as a link to mine so others can read it too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That part was pretty cool - Obi-Wan is my favorite Jedi in the CW and probably Star Wars as a whole :)
      And thanks too, BTW :P

      Delete
  2. Great review! I loved this episode. Hondo Ohnaka was my most favorite part of this episode. That guys's just so awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Hondo definitely made the episode memorable with all his awesome moments :)
      Loved your review too :P

      Delete
  3. Awesome review!
    The arm cut off is still in my mind :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it could have used some more build-up before throwing a ton of action at the audience but Obi-Wan was at his best in the episode. Also Hondo was hilarious again, I hope he will have another episode this season. Savage and Bane are my two favorite characters created for the Clone Wars and I'm glad to see more of him. I also liked Maul's and Savage's brother interaction, since it's kind of relateable. Great review, I added a link to the end of my review.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, they probably brought on the action a bit too quick. I can't wait to see more Hondo since he's now officially one of my favorite CW characters...next to Cad Bane of course :)
      Yeah, in my case it was relate-able as well...being a middle child and all, I've had to play both roles time and again ;)
      And thanks, I loved your review too BTW! :P

      Delete
  5. Love your review, Stilwater. The Adi Gallia case didn't bother me as much as the Even Piell case, but it still annoys me.

    Uh, I'll remain pessimistic, thank you. When you have lower standards, it'll be easier to enjoy the show XD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :P
      I have a feeling Adi Gallia won't be the last casualty we have this season, which could be a good thing or a bad thing...

      Delete
    2. I sense the next Jedi in the 'chopping board' are Oppo (please no), Tera Sinube, and Eeth Koth.
      Ahah... 'Randy' Savage will be next. I hope so...

      Delete