Sunday, October 28, 2012

Review for "Tipping Point" - The Clone Wars


SW: Three things running through my head as the episode "Tipping Point" came to a close.

1) "I actually really, really like Saw!  He is one cool dude."

2)  "Why...Steela...and not Lux?  Why...?"

3) "Eff.  Yes.  Hondo.."

In general, I feel this was a satisfying conclusion to the Onderon arc.  I would have liked a bit more emphasis on the citizens' involvement in the rebellion as the masses can be a huge help in a battle - and no, that little tidbit with the three droids accidentally shooting each other wasn't enough for me - and it felt like the important characters like General Tandin were pushed aside a bit too much and ignored.

But that was pretty much the only problems I saw with the episode.  Everything else, I loved.  I'd have to watch the arc again to be sure, but I think this is my favorite out of the Onderon arc.

As I already mentioned, it took me this long but now I really do like the character Saw.  In the first Onderon episode I thought he was kind of a jerk, but he sure did grow on me.  It's too bad that as soon as I like him, the arc is over.  Unless they somehow reel him back in, which I highly doubt is gonna happen.  All well.  Saw was cool.  He redeemed every second of Lux's appearance for me, at least.

The whole idea that the rebellion has launched into a full-scale war was pretty neat.  I loved the Avatar-esque flying birds; much better than a whole bunch of tanks and whatnot.  It's always cool to see the rebels applying skills they used in the first episode down to their final struggle.  Of course, an additional element I liked as how Obi-Wan and Anakin finally got involved at the last minute.  I had a feeling sooner or later they would disobey the Council's orders, Anakin especially.  Hondo's appearance was, such a cool moment (three cheers for Hondo Ohnaka!!) even if it only lasted, what, five minutes?  But if it's Hondo, guarantee it's an enjoyable and entertaining five minutes.  So that was a high point, for sure.  Poor Hondo, being treated as a last-minute delivery boy...

I've brought this up before, but another great element was Ahsoka's having to deal with the situation on her own.  When she's not under Anakin and Obi-Wan's watch, she seems to shine the best.  I kept getting this disturbances in the Force, in a good way...think about it.  Ahsoka, alone, helping the rebels...?  Could this be a foreshadowing of her fate in regards to Revenge of the Sith, Order 66, and the Rebel Alliance?  Eh, maybe, maybe not.  I couldn't help but wonder.  But at any rate, I can definitely see how much Ahsoka has grown up throughout the series.  She handled the relationship between Lux and Steela very well.  I was afraid there would be catfights between the two, but it seems Ahsoka is too mature for that now.  And, I applaud that.  Whether it means she's moved on from Lux or not, it shows how she is closer to becoming a Jedi Knight..

But Steela's death?  A punch to the gut.  It figures.  As soon as I like a character, they kill him/her off.  Throughout the whole arc, I actually had a feeling either Saw or Lux would die, especially Saw.  He seemed like the type to die in battle - and, you know, give Steela a sense of revenge to keep fighting.  But, this was tragic.  It didn't help that, in a way, Saw, Lux, and Ahsoka all had shared of the blame.  How does that work?  Why did that dumb old man have to run all the way to the very edge of the cliff and get her killed?

I hate admitting this, but when Steela died, I actually felt sorry for Lux.  Blame it on the animations department.  They've come a long way from Season One.  The reaction on Lux's face when Steela fell was done so well and captured the emotion of the moment perfectly.  Of course...I do wish Ahsoka had picked up Steela first and then Lux so he would have died instead, but...oh dear, maybe Ahsoka was jealous after all, or....forget it.  I'm not even gonna go there.

Anyway, this was a great arc with some interesting character development in Ahsoka, as well as some new characters.  Some interesting topics were brought up.  And although it could have been done better, I still loved it.  Dooku's killing off the Separatist king was chilling - quick, and blunt, and shocking, no matter how much that guy was annoying.  Wish Steela hadn't died but I know the episode wouldn't have been as good without it.  And hopefully, this means Ahsoka and Lux had moved on.  Hopefully.

All in all, 8 out of 10 stars for Onderon.

What are your thoughts?  How did you feel about this episode and the Onderon arc as a whole?  Feel more than free to share! :-)

Also, do check out this great review of "Tipping Point" from IGN.  It explains a lot of stuff I couldn't put into words too well. 

-Stilwater <><




2 comments:

  1. Yay! Awesome review!
    I thought this episode was the best so far in Season 5...the action was really good, I didn't really like Steela, Ashoka seems to be getting over her relationship with Lux, and lot's of other stuff. Made me happy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your review! You seemed to like it more than I do :P

    ReplyDelete