Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Your Opinion: Disney Buying Lucasfilm??

SW: So I just got back from a two-day trip with the fam, arrived home burned-out and cranky, and sat down with my tablet to check up on my Facebook home page.  And would you know what I first came across?

Yes...the Disney company has purchased Lucasfilm!



Quoting usatoday.com :

"The buyout is Disney's fourth largest deal ever. It's behind the $19.7 billion, $7.6 billion and $5.2 billion buyouts of Capital Cities/ABC in 1995, Pixar in 2006 and Fox Family in 2001, respectively, says S&P Capital IQ. It tops the $3.96 billion Disney paid for Marvel in August 2009.
"Disney expects to more aggressively expand the Star Wars film schedule, Iger said in a statement. Following the release of Episode 7 in 2015, "our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years," Iger said."
My first thoughts were nothing short of, well, utter shock.  Not as in being horrified, but as in I-did-NOT-see-this-coming.  For a long time my focus in regards to the Star Wars franchise has been on future "Clone Wars" seasons, but especially the rumored live-action series set between ROTS and ANH, which is also supposed to be geared for the adult audience.
Since Disney is a family-centered industry, does this mean the live-actions series will be watered down, or canceled?  What could this imply for future Star Wars video games, television shows, and more?
Calm down.  I'm pretty kriffing sure they're not gonna give an animated Jar-Jar Binks his own Disney Channel series or anything.  Although...a Star Wars musical with, say, Elton John or Phil Collins writing the lyrics...wow.  The possibilities...! :D
However, my next thoughts were of cappuccino-induced excitement and otherwise screaming all over the house.  And the more I think about this, the more excited I get!  Sure, this seems like a real risky move for both companies, but remember when Disney bought Marvel three years back?  Now look how far Marvel has come since then - the franchise was rekindled and is now stronger than ever.  And what could this news mean for all of those Star Wars characters the fans are dying to see appear on the big screen?
As for the new Star Wars movies coming out, I'm not sure yet.  I'll have to wait and see just what they announce in regards to that.  If it turns out to be the Thrawn Trilogy, I'll be interested but a little let-down.  But honestly, I have no idea whatsoever what's going on in their heads.  I guess we'll have to just wait and listen for more news!
What is your opinion on this latest news?  Are you horrified?  Excited?  Weirded out?  Or simply recovering from the shock of it all?

-Stilwater <><

5 comments:

  1. Me...I am right now shocked at and angry at George Lucas for making this move. It really saddens me that he would do something like that since Disney can do some really stupid stuff...:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fine with it and I look forward to what they have in store for us in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a Disney fan by any means, but they did make the Avengers incredible so this next Star Wars movie should be awesome. :) Hopefully the force will be with Disney.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm terrified. They're not gonna make the sequels out of the Thrawn trilogy (good for you), but they're gonna use one of GL's original ideas. That could mean death to the post-ROTJ EU and Mara Jade Skywalker's sole existence. I'm not gonna be happy if that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So long as they follow canon, I'll be happy. But no matter what, I'm planning to keep an optimistic attitude until 2014 when we start getting previews...

    ReplyDelete