Saturday, November 3, 2012

Review for "The Gathering" - The Clone Wars


SW: What did you think of this week's episode, "The Gathering"?

At first, when I watched the preview, I thought this was going to be another case of epic suck-age, as in the infamous "Nomad Droids" from Season Four (I cringe just mentioning it...).  But actually, it didn't turn out to be all that bad.  After the rather dark Maul/Savage arc, and then the Onderon arc that dealt with heavy Separatist and Republican issues, this episode took a break off the front-lines.  It offered a bit of insight into the life of a young Jedi Padawan and one of the many steps in the process of becoming a Knight - and seeing how I know little about that process, "The Gathering" taught me a thing or two.

I found the little Padawans so adorable!  It was kind of cute to see fresh, young faces this once.  My personal favorites were Zatt (the Nautolan) and Gungi (the Wookiee).  Don't you just wanna cuddle them?

What stood out to me was the classic approach to the whole plot and the pace - reminiscent of the Original Trilogy.  It was real fascinating to see each of the Padawans find their crystals in a unique way, and they all learned something different.  It would have been boring had they all find a big crystal room or the like.  But the uniqueness of each of their finds fit what we were shown of their personalities in the twenty-two minutes, and it worked.  Yoda kinda cheesed it up a bit by naming exactly what each of them found in the end, which got on my nerves just a bit, but that's barely worth mentioning.

I'm sure lots of you didn't like this episode at all, and that's fine.  But despite how much I love a good dark, gritty, suspenseful Clone Wars episode, it's good to take a break once in a while.  It was well-paced, entertaining, and even had me on the edge of my seat.  I thought for sure some of them wouldn't make it, and the twist at the end was a nice touch.  I really feel in touch with the whole moral and code of the Jedi now that I've seen - on screen, and not from a paperback Star Wars novel - what it's like to gradually train from Padawan, to Apprentice, and on to Knight.

All and all, a sweet and entertaining episode that drew more than enough "awww...." moments from my girly side.  What did you think of "Gathering Points"?  Did it set you off, annoy you, or did you like it?

Bane told me, he wasn't impressed one bit.  But I don't think he even watched it.  He was occupied with...um, something else.  But what can you expect?  This is the same guy who kidnapped adorable Jedi younglings for money, right??  Right.

I'm done.

-Stilwater <><


3 comments:

  1. I hated it at first but after thinking about it it was enjoyable. The Wookiee Gungi was by far my favortie part of the episode, always wanted to see a Wookiee Jedi on screem. :)

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was pretty good :D A different approach and worked well (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find this episode to be pretty refreshing. It wasn't disappointing at all, to me at least.

    Oh yes, the younglings were so adorable! I spent a great time gushing over them. My favorites are Zatt and Katooni (the Tholothian). I like Zatt because he's like a mini-Fisto! I gave this episode bonus points for diversity, too. It's about time we see a cast this diverse.

    ReplyDelete