Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Review for "A Test of Strength" - The Clone Wars

SW: Sorry I did not post this earlier, but a storm wiped out our Internet for a couple days.  Which, yes, made me realize how dependent I am on home wi-fi!  Anyway, without further ado...

Wow.  I was not expecting to be this impressed.  But the follow up to "The Gathering" was much better than I thought it was going to be.  I think this arc may prove to be better than Onderon, definitely.  There were so many great elements to it - the characters, the pace, the outcome, everything.


First of all, the characters.  I love the younglings!  Zatt and Gungi are still my two favorites for sure - so much so I want to sit down and draw them before the arc is out.  They're so adorable.  The lightsaber-making droid was an interesting character, and reminded me a bit of C-3PO, although he had a lot more spine.  It's cool to be learning how a lightsaber is made and the whole process that goes with it.  Again, Ahsoka is really shining through as a more mature Padawan than when we first saw her.  Call it strange, but I see more of Obi-Wan's influence on her than Anakin's, in some ways, but that's just me.

And...Hondo is back again!  Of course, one can never have too much Hondo.  I wonder why he keeps appearing so far in this season.  The Hondo and Ahsoka moments were entertaining, yet tense.  I loved the way they bantered back and forth.

The pacing was typical for a "Clone Wars" episode, but still decent.  I was on the edge of my seat as the pirates were invading.  I had a gut feeling someone was going to be killed off, and I still have that feeling.  Yes, I'm pretty sure not all five younglings will make it out alive.  And did anyone happen to notice that the crashed ship in Hondo's shipyard in "Revival" bears an uncanny resemblance to the ship harboring the Jedi younglings?  Suppose "Revival" was set after this arc?  Hmm...  Anyway, back to the pace - maybe it dried up a bit towards the end, but I was still on the edge of my seat.  Seeing pirates get sucked into space was horrifying, but so cool (sorry, guys...)


And then the cliffhanger!  Now I'm really looking forward to the next episode!  Will the Padawans attempt a rescue mission?  How will Ahsoka find herself when she comes to?  When Hondo said "Now I will make you...profit," (or something like that), a chill literally went down my spine.  Of course, I automatically feared the worst.  But hey, they can only do so much on a TVPG-rated show, so Ahsoka shouldn't come out of this one in bad shape.  Nevertheless.  What does Hondo tend to do?  My guess is he might sell her to someone.  So I hope a character we already know comes into play on the other side of that deal, though I can't think of anyone at the moment.  Ahsoka will probably be sporting a new outfit for a time as well, think the "Slaves of the Republic" arc, just more pirate-y.

All in all, I was taken aback by how much I loved this episode.  It just felt so enjoyable with lovable characters on both good and bad sides, suspense, and some creative ways on how to outsmart pirates.  I cannot wait until next Saturday to see what becomes of Ahsoka and the younglings.  It's gonna be great!

Your thoughts?  How do you feel about this arc so far?  How would you compare it to Onderon?

-Stilwater <><


3 comments:

  1. I agree it was much better than last week's episode. But Gungi, Hondo and the Professor were the highlights for me. And of crouse Ahsoka's battle with Hondo. Although I do not think it will match the Onderon arc unless it really does something profound, it was a fun episode to watch.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this episode! I'm glad it had a lot of EU nods after the season premiere's butchering of Obsession (wooden hilt for Wookiee Jedi, Wookiee Jedi being rare, etc). Although, I kinda wished it was Adegan crystals instead of Kaiburr (or was it Kyber? Two different stuff) crystals.

    ReplyDelete