Thursday, February 21, 2013

Review for "The Jedi Who Knew Too Much" - Star Wars: The Clone Wars


Being a writer, I hate that feeling you get when an episode or a movie or a book just leaves you speechless, or in this case "wordless".  The older I get, the less that happens to me.  But that's kind of how I feel about this episode.  It basically took everything I've been waiting to see in the Anakin/Ahsoka relationship since the premiere movie and brought it up several parsecs.

While I can't say I was shaking like I did in the aftermath of "The Lawless", this episode knocked it out of the park for me.  Again, I hate this, but...wow.

First of all, the setup against Ahsoka was interesting and I loved it.  It reminded me a lot of the Bourne movies or CSI (I've heard this episode has a lot of homage to the movie The Fugitive, which sadly I haven't seen yet).  I'm pretty sure Sidious is plotting to remove Ahsoka so he can move in closer to Anakin, which is something I've sort of been dreading all along.  Pretty much since the character of Ahsoka was introduced, everyone's been speculating as to what her fate will be (ooh yeah, news flash...!)  And I'm not going to say much about that until we see how this arc turns out, but I sure do love the fact that they're finally testing both Ahsoka and Anakin.

It was nice to see Barris make a reappearance, especially when they made a reference to the last time we saw her way back in Season Two.  She is a great character I wish they would use more often as sort of a balance between her and Ahsoka.  Anakin has a tendency to rub off on me the wrong way all the time, but he was actually cool in this episode.  His determination to find Ahsoka but also believing her innocence added a whole other layer to the suspense.  And I'm still interested as to who set up Lena to feed her husband the nanodroids, although I'm almost certain it was Ventress.

And the escape scene.  I try to use the word "awesome" as infrequently as possible, but yes, that was awesome!  My favorite part of course was the chase through the tunnels.  I knew Ahsoka was going to make it but it was still suspenseful.  It didn't help that Anakin and Rex were looking for her as well.


The ending scene...
basically that made both the Youngling arc and the Droid arc worth it.  That has got to be one of my new favorite moments of Season Five!

To the underworld!! *fist pumps*

All in all, I am very excited to see how Ahsoka's role in the rest of the arc plays out, what happens to her in the Underworld, and how Ventress and others are going to play a part.  I'm glad to see this season go out with a bang.

Fantastic, thrilling episode.  In no way a letdown!

-Stilwater <><

2 comments:

  1. I agree, this episode was amazing! The ending scene had so much emotion, I have never seen animation that captured it so well. While I liked Ahsoka in the past to a point, it wasn't until this episode that she has become one of my favorite Clone Wars characters. Can't wait to see were arc goes! Too bad it is the season finale. :/
    This episode was homage to Alfred Hitchcock's "The Man Who Knew Too Much", which is it named after.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I forgot to add that - I knew about that movie The Man Who Knew Too Much but I also heard of some similarities to other movies. I thought it was pretty cool that they would give homage to classic films like that; it shows they're paying attention!

      Delete