Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Review for "Sabotage" - Star Wars: The Clone Wars



Ah yes, it's finale season again!  Right out of the Darth Maul arc we head back to Ahsoka.  Back at Celebration VI (which I did not attend) Dave Filoni promised that Season Five would see some major changes in Ahsoka.  At first I thought he was talking about the Onderon arc, but that wasn't the case.

I've said this before, but with each season, I grow to appreciate Ahsoka more and more.  She annoyed me to death in the premiere film and the first season, but she has really grown up and matured.  So this finale arc has got me really excited to see what happens to Ahsoka.  Also, I look forward to seeing how this may influence Anakin's future turn to the dark side.  For now, we can only wait.

But the first episode "Sabotage" caught me off-guard.  It did not feel to me like the first part of a series, but an episode all by itself.


First of all, I picked up a lot of Revenge of the Sith elements!  It points to the fact that the Clone Wars is starting into the endgame (what I hear is they will possibly have up to eight seasons, which means we're over halfway through), and we're rolling right into the rest of the saga.  The opening with the buzzdroids - wow, I loved that.  In ROTS, Obi-Wan was the one attacked by buzzdroids, and in this episode it was Anakin, so that could be hinting at something about Ahsoka's future, somehow.  And it led right into the High Council Chambers, another nod to ROTS.  I really loved seeing that.

I also loved seeing, at least a glimpse, of the outsider's inside view of the Jedi Order.  Up until now, we haven't know a lot about what ordinary citizens make of the war and the Jedi.  This is the first time I've seen that issue directly addressed, and I like it.  It certainly adds another depth to the show and gives a sense of foreboding since we know what lies in store for the Jedi.  Anyway, the setup was great and had me interested immediately.

I was waiting to see where they were going with all of this...and then the intensity just dropped about halfway.  I thought they were going to dive right into a Jedi's involvement and Ahsoka becoming a fugitive in some way.  Instead they found the culprit pretty quick, which I thought was a bit lame.  I felt a bit disappointed at how the episode ended.  But, at the same time, I'm still excited to see what becomes of Ahsoka once this arc is completed.

Other than that, I don't have much else to say about this episode other than it was pretty much dull but still hasn't wavered my attention for the rest of the arc.  What I'm really pumped for is the next episode coming up.  It's going to rock.

1 comment:

  1. I actaully enjoyed this episode. It had a noir, Blade Runner vibe to it. Good review though, glad someone else is stiill writing reviews.

    -James

    ReplyDelete