Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Thoughts on "The Clone Wars" Cancellation

I'm sure by now all of you have heard what happened on Monday, that fateful day.  Our beloved television series, The Clone Wars, was officially canceled.

I was going to immediately dive into a huge rant and rave on this subject, and frankly, I'm still in the mood to do so.  But I decided to recover from the shock of it all first.  Now that I'm mostly able to swallow the fact that the series is over, I can think a bit more clearly.  Here are my thoughts on the subject.

Of course, I'm angry.  This is exactly what happened when Disney bought Marvel back in 2009 and two popular Marvel television shows were canceled.  It's all about the money.  It's about turning millions into billions.  And when a mega-company like Disney buys a smaller company like Lucasfilm, fan-suffering always follows.  In my opinion, the least Lucasfilm/Disney could have done was aire Season Six and wrap things up a bit neater, not a sudden "boom, curtain's closed".  Heck, practically half of my blog is dedicated to this show, and now it's canceled?!

The biggest reason I am ticked was I lost all I wanted to see in future seasons.  I wanted to see Asajj Ventress continue to search for and find her place.  I wanted to see what happens to Darth Maul.  I wanted to see Hondo Ohnaka on his dastardly adventures and falling into trouble with as much grace as he climbs out of it.  I really wanted to see Cad Bane get his old outfit back, work with young Boba Fett on a heist, instilling the roots for a future rivalry between them.  Now I won't get any of this.  Basically, I feel cheated.

However, after some good mulling and chewing and thinking this through, I feel a little better about the series coming to an end.  Now that I've covered why I hate it, I'll give you my reasons for appreciating it.

First of all, we have to admit, all of us knew this was going to happen sooner or later.  It's not like The Clone Wars could last forever.  I hardly watch television at all, but from what I hear from other friends who do, shows that last into seven, eight, or more seasons lose their quality along the way, and it was the fourth or fifth in which the show was at its peak.  I'm not saying that the same would have happened to The Clone Wars, but there's just no telling how it would have winded up.  In other words, I think ending the series with Ahsoka's departure from the Jedi Order was a good move.  The whole thing started with her becoming Anakin's apprentice, after all.  Plus, these events could lead right into Episode III.  Doesn't it make sense to finish the series on this note?

Second, ending The Clone Wars opens the door for many more stories to be told in many more different ways.  Now the characters introduced by the show are no longer exclusive to it.  I doubt that Lucasfilm/Disney is going to let these characters go to waste.  I think they are going to continue the stories of Ahsoka Tano, Cad Bane, Asajj Ventress, Hondo Ohnaka, Darth Maul, the clones (Rex, Wolffe, etc.), and all the others.  The only thing is, it won't be in The Clone Wars.  So, who knows?  Will Ahsoka get a mini-series or a novel about her adventures outside the Jedi Order?  Is Star Wars: Underworld going to come around and bring in some popular Clone Wars characters?  We can't say for now, but the possibilities are endless.

Apparently, according to the official news article on Starwars.com (which you can read for yourself HERE), they want to focus more of their attention on the new films and a "new animated series previously untouched by any films or television series".  When I read that I thought up three possibilities for this new series: 1) pre-Phantom Menace, 2) between two of the movies (ex., Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi), or 3) post-Revenge of the Sith, pre-A New Hope.  I have no idea what this could turn into, but at least we have something to look forward to, don't we?  My point is, just because the show is over doesn't mean that the story is over.  In fact, there may be even more opportunities for the characters' stories to be told and legends to be made.  We just have to sit tight and hope for the best.

So, yes, I am very sad that the show is over.  No more Cad Bane, no more Tom Kane openings, no more Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka shenanigans, no more clones...at least in The Clone Wars.

Thirdly, it's not as if we won't get anymore Clone Wars.  We will get our Season Six, just not on television.  It will probably be released online or direct-to-DVD, from what I'm reading.  So, I know a lot of people are screaming and ranting about all the things they got cheated out of (as I did just earlier), but remember, we still have more episodes coming!  We have no idea what happens in them or how many there are coming.  But from what Dave Filoni is saying, it's going to be some incredible, mind-blowing stuff.

Speaking of which, you definitely want to check out this video.  In it we see Filoni's input on this news, as well as a special sneak peek of Season Six:


So, yes, I am angry, but I have other things to look forward to.  I can't wait to see what lies in store for the characters, when we will get to see them again, and how their fates play out in the saga.  There is so much ground left to cover and The Clone Wars could only cover so much.  It's too early to say "the best is yet to come", but I like to believe it is.  That The Clone Wars was only the beginning of a lot of great stories that are about to be told.  That the characters we have found because of the show have only begun to make their mark in the Star Wars universe.

So hang in there, Clone Wars fans!  Keep calm and carry on!  Eat some ice cream, get into something non-Star Wars related, pop in some music, and hope for the best.

-Stilwater <><

3 comments:

  1. I too feel cheated, hopefully these last few story arcs will give us a satisfying resolution to the series. Even though time was running out, I agree there was so much more that could be told. The Clone Wars era of TV has been one of the most influential on fans, almost as much as the prequel era. Without it, millions of Star Wars fans would have never even watched the movies. It revitalized Star Wars again. Great post, still can't believe its cancelled.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel cheated too :( As you've said... money can equal fan suffering. I agree with James.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's always the possibility of using a kickstarter project to get The Clone Wars back on the air...if we can rally the troops enough... In any case, I will remain hopeful as ever...while carrying a big stick to whack Disney with if it ruins Star Wars.

    ReplyDelete