Thursday, April 4, 2013

Well, Disney





First The Clone Wars was cancelled.  Now the video game 1313 has been cancelled too.

If they are going to announce "oh, you know that live-action show called Star Wars: Underworld you've all been so hyped up about for the past five or six years, that you're just dying to see? We cancelled that too, because Episode VII is gonna bring down the house", I wouldn't feel all that surprised.

But just because I'm not surprised doesn't mean I'm not seriously bummed.

When I first heard Disney bought Lucasfilm last October, I thought it could mean great things for the franchise - think Disney buying Marvel back in 2009.  Alas, the only good thing that's come out of this so far is the announcement of more Star Wars movies, and honestly, I'm not getting very excited about those.  First, because my favorite period in the SW timeline is the Rise of the Empire era and between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, because that's where 80% of my favorite characters are, so I won't get to see them in the new movies.  Second, I feel like adding sequels to Return of the Jedi is going to make yet another sharp division in the fandom.  Right now we have the prequel haters and the prequel lovers...some Episode VII and onward, we'll have another line of sequel haters and sequel lovers.  And that sounds like fun...like we need it...

Of course I'm probably speaking up too soon.

Who knows?  While this feels like a dark period in the Star Wars fandom, you never know.  Hope could be just around the corner.  They've already announced a new animated series previously untouched by any other series (definitely post-ROTS or pre-TPM).  And, I've almost forgotten about those confirmed spin-off films with Boba Fett and Han Solo (a young Han Solo not Harrison Ford?  Hmm. That could go places!)  Who knows what else could be brought to the table? I'm trying to convince myself they wouldn't just cancel a beloved show and two highly anticipated games just because they can or because they felt like it.  Maybe something good will turn up out of all of this.  I might be wrong and I might be right.  I hope I'm right.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about this latest news.  Basically almost everything I've been looking forward to in this franchise has been cancelled or is still just a rumor.  Now all they have to do is kill Cad Bane off in a much lamer way than Boba or Jango Fett's deaths, and I'll just pack my bags and leave.

(wow, that sounded horrible...please Disney don't get any ideas...)

Yuck.  I miss when Disney was Disney and Star Wars was Star Wars.

-Stilwater <><

3 comments:

  1. EXACTLY! I have been so frustrated with Disney buying Star Wars, and they have only seemed to ruin everything. I am not really sure where the Star Wars sequels are going, but I am not setting my hopes up to high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on all fronts my friend... I too miss when Disney was Disney and Star Wars was Star Wars. Nowadays with Star Wars it seems Disney is so trigger happy on pulling the plug on anything that's not Disney produced and overall all this is not good PR at all and it's actually damaging the trust between company and fan. All I can say is Star Wars Episode 7 and beyond better be GREAT films but at this point I'm not entirely sure if I want to even see the new films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was pessimistic when I first heard of Disney buying Lucasfilm, and I still am.
    It's really getting worse, isn't it? What's next? Returning SW comics to Marvel's hands (I hope not)? Ghh...

    ReplyDelete