Monday, July 29, 2013

Favorite Quotes (Fiction)

Here is a list of some of my favorite quotes from books, movies, television, etc. As the title suggests these are all fictional quotes, so I plan to have another post with all nonfiction quotes. Of course I could not list all my favorites but I did the best I could! Enjoy!


“There must be something in books, something we can’t imagine, to make a woman stay in a burning house; there must be something there. You don’t stay for nothing.” (Fahrenheit 451)

“People always think that happiness is a faraway thing, something complicated and hard to get. Yet, what little things can make it up; a place of shelter when it rains - a cup of strong hot coffee when you're blue; for a man, a cigarette for contentment; a book to read when you're alone - just to be with someone you love. Those things make happiness.” (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn)

"I'm in control. I make the rules, now." - Cad Bane

"I'm surrounded by idiots." - Scar (The Lion King)

"Your life is already over. You’ll die here. Well, it was good while it lasted. We killed some boredom, didn’t we? We did some various and interesting things.” - Ryuk (Death Note)

"You see, I am simply one hell of a butler." - Sebastian Michaelis (Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler)


"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor!" (The Hunger Games)

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses." - Elwood (The Blues Brothers)




"Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?" - Obi-Wan (Attack of the Clones)

"Something's happening. I'm not the Jedi I should be. I want more. And I know I shouldn't." - Anakin Skywalker (Revenge of the Sith)

"Anakin, you're breaking my heart. You're going down a path I can't follow." - Padme (Revenge of the Sith)




"What are you going to do, Jedi?  Torture me?" - Cad Bane

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." (As You Like It)

"The trick from my angle is to make my play strong enough to tie you up, but not make you mad enough to bump me off against your better judgment." - Sam Spade (The Maltese Falcon)

“I didn’t choose you. Don’t you see this is all just an accident. You actually thought you were chosen because you’re so smart or something? Don’t be so vain. It just happen to fall around here and you just happen to pick it up, and that’s all there is to it.” - Ryuk (Death Note)


"What are you looking at?  It's a nice hat." - Cad Bane

Murray: "A whole bottle of pills! My god, get an ambulance!"
Oscar: "Wait a minute, will you? We don't even know what kind!"
Murray: "What difference does it make? He took a whole bottle!"
Oscar: "Well, maybe they were vitamins! He could be the healthiest one in the room!"
(The Odd Couple)

"In all the years I've known Francis, I've never seen him like this. So if you break his heart, I will kill you. And bury your body in the woods." - Victoria (Red)

Adler: "Why are you always so suspicious?"
Holmes: "Should I answer chronologically or alphabetically?"
(Sherlock Holmes)

Watson: "Oh, shut up! Tell me my wife's safe!"
Holmes: "I can't do both."
(Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows)


"Tell me, Light, from the moment you were born, has there ever been a moment
when you've actually told the truth?" - L (Death Note)

Terry: "If you were in the wild, I would attack you, even if you weren't in my food chain. I would go out of my way to attack you. If I were a lion and you were a tuna, I would swim out in the middle of the ocean and freaking eat you and then I'd bang your tuna girlfriend."
Allen: "OK, first off: a lion, swimming in the ocean. Lions don't like water. If you placed it near a river or some sort of fresh water source, that make sense. But you find yourself in the ocean, twenty foot wave, I'm assuming off the coast of South Africa, coming up against a full grown eight-hundred pound tuna with his twenty or thirty friends, you lose that battle, you lose that battle nine times out of ten. And guess what, you've wandered into our school of tuna and we now have a taste of lion. We've talked to ourselves. We've communicated and said 'You know what, lion tastes good, let's go get some more lion!'. We've developed a system to establish a beach-head and aggressively hunt you and your family and we will corner your pride, your children, your offspring."
Terry: "How you gonna do that?"
Allen: "We will construct a series of breathing apparatus with kelp. We will be able to trap certain amounts of oxygen. It's not gonna be days at a time. An hour? Hour forty-five? No problem. That will give us enough time to figure out where you live, go back to the sea, get some more oxygen, and stalk you. You just lost at your own game. You're outgunned and out-manned."
Terry: ...
Allen: "Did that go the way you thought it was gonna go? Nope."
(The Other Guys)

"I don't know if we each have a destiny or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time." - Forrest Gump

"The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function. Without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it." - Spiers (Band of Brothers)

"These men have been through the toughest training the Army has to offer, under the worst possible circumstances, and they volunteered for it." - Winters (Band of Brothers)


"I had never really known who John Dunbar was. Perhaps because the name itself had no meaning. But as I heard my Sioux name being called over and over, I knew for the first time who I really was." - John Dunbar (Dances With Wolves)

"I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone." - Red (The Shawshank Redemption)

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something." - Samwise Gangee (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers)

and last but certainly not least...

"I'll take a potato chip...and EAT IT!!" - Light Yagami (Death Note)


1 comment:

  1. This a great list of quotes! My favorite one is the one from Fahrenheit 451--It really shows the power of books.

    ReplyDelete