Saturday, September 7, 2013

Songs of the Week - "Muse"

“We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.” 
― Friedrich Nietzsche


 For this post I will share my top favorite songs by one of my favorite bands of all time, Muse. In fact, Muse's 2009 CD, "The Resistance", was one the biggest influences on my book "Resistance"! Tip: do not be wavered by this band's association with the Twilight movies! 




~feeling rebellious much? feel like raging against the machine? or are you just fed up with the system?~


// This was one of the first Muse songs I was introduced to a few years ago. I was hooked immediately. This song is very unique in its style. It has blood-pumping beats and lyrics blended with a haunting, eerie sound. A lot of the themes covered in this song inspired my book as I was writing it. I get chills every time I hear this song even though I've listened to it, literally, hundreds of times. //




~when you are up for a little British rock n' roll on the highway to insanity! ~


// This song is from their 2012 CD, so it had no play on my book. It's still, however, one of my favorite songs by the band. The beat is extremely catchy, and you can hear some of their inspiration from classic rock band Queen in this one. Like most Muse songs, the lyrics are dark, poetic, and down-to-earth. Most energizing stuff. //



"Resistance"


~a song for lovers, a song for rebels, a song for adventurers, a song for people who can't sleep at night because their thoughts betray them and the stars are too bright~


// The influence of this song on my book should be pretty obvious at this point. I won't go so far as to say I deliberately named my book after the song, but I will admit I would have come up with a very different title otherwise. This is one of the most beautiful, epic songs I have heard in my life. Years later, it's still in my top favorites. If you don't listen to any of the other songs on this post, try this one. Just, try it. //





~an upbeat, slightly distorted tale of love, lust and human intimacy~


// Another song that was a huge inspiration for my book. This is one of their more lighthearted songs, and most beautiful as well. Again, years later, this is still one of my favorites because of its unique sound and subtle sweetness. It's a love song, but the romance is sprinkled on as a flavor, not as the main course (if I can even put it that way...) //


Other Favorites:

"Supermassive Black Hole", "I Belong To You","Supremacy","Hysteria","United States of Eurasia","The 2nd Law: Unsustainable"




As you can tell I am a huge Muse fan, and I have been for a few years. I owe them a lot for helping form the backbone of what was to be my first book. As soon as I was introduced to them I fell in love with their sound instantly, and they've stuck with me this long. Which is weird for me, because bands have a hard time staying in my favorites for that many years.
Sorry I gave out so many songs on this post! I will try to cut it down next time! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing these songs! It was fun to find out what songs have inspired your writing and what genres and bands you like. I liked these songs, and I will be listening to more songs by Muse in the future!

    ReplyDelete