Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Star Wars Opinions - Part 1/2

Wow...it has been way too long since I wrote a Star Wars related post! (Shame on me...) Anyway, I thought I would share my general thoughts and feelings toward all the new Star Wars things we can expect in the next couple years, as there are a lot of them! I'll also give a score of 0-10 in regards to how "positive" or "green-light" I feel about each one. Since there are quite a few, and a lot to discuss, I've divided this into two parts.

The total list of what I'll talk about includes:

  • Star Wars: Battlefront
  • Star Wars: Rebels
  • the Star Wars Origin films
  • "The Clone Wars" bonus footage
  • Star Wars Episode VII


Star Wars: Battlefront



Score: 9.5/10

At last our dream has finally come true. After years of waiting for another Battlefront game, it is been officially announced!! Just a couple months ago, I think, it was confirmed that we can be expecting the release of a new Star Wars: Battlefront game. Technically it is the third installment in the series, but since they're just calling it Battlefront instead of Battlefront III, I can imagine the new game is going to have a lot more stuff and some re-vamps of old campaigns and such that were in the previous games.

Now, I am not much of a gamer, but growing up I basically played Battlefront all the time. Star Wars: Battlefront II is my favorite game and I'm not even supposed to like games! Everything about it just screams Star Wars in the most epic way possible. However it is also getting quite dated and since its release a lot of new characters have been introduced to the Star Wars universe (*cough*Cad Bane*cough*). So while Battlefront II is amazing it's easy to spot all the improvements a new game in the series would make. The bad part is that for several years the question of whether a Battlefront III would ever happen or not drifted from rumor to rumor. Then finally, earlier this year, in the wake of the cancellation of the very promising Star Wars: 1313, a new Battlefront game was confirmed.

I am super, super excited for this game! I believe they are going to do a great job with it, and I am not at all worried that it will ruin the Battlefront franchise. I am really looking forward to seeing what sort of creative things they can come up with, like overlapping campaigns and story-lines, battle strategies, touching on more Expanded Universe stuff, and new instant action things to do with the characters, not to mention new graphics and animation. It will be a lot of fun to see what they come up with. It is going to be amazing. So yes, I am pumped for more news or footage from this game, and especially its release in a couple years!

Plus, I also hear talk that this game will be the first in a whole new way of looking at Star Wars games. So what does that mean? I have no idea. Will we be seeing less of a focus on Jedi and clones and more on other classes of characters? Or does this mean all-new formats and worlds for playing? All unclear as of now, but it's exciting to think about.


Star Wars: Rebels


Score: 6/10

My feelings about this new show are weirdly mixed. As you might know, one of my favorite Star Wars eras is the period between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, but this has also never been touched on with a film or a TV show. It's an era I have always wanted to see portrayed in this way, because I think it would be rich with so much drama, conflict, tension, and build-up to the events in the Original Trilogy. Thus, when I first heard about Rebels, I was pretty excited that I was finally going to see a show set in this time period.

However, two things are really bugging me about Rebels. The first is that they cancelled The Clone Wars to make way for it. Now I had problems with The Clone Wars but generally I adored it and because of it I found a bunch of new Star Wars characters to fall in love with. It was such a fun show. I'm pretty upset that they cancelled it right after Season 5 without even giving us Season 6. The least they could have done was finished Season 6 and told us it would be the finale season; that would have made a lot more sense to me. So, the very fact that Rebels was born out of the ashes of The Clone Wars is annoying. Now for all us TCW fans, Rebels will have to meet high expectations. As soon as we watch the premiere episode we will be looking for a highly plausible reason that this show booted TCW out. That's what bugs me - anything having to do with Rebels with automatically force us to compare it to TCW, and we'll be faced with the constant question of was it worth it? Thus, if Rebels is just slightly a degree less rewarding than TCW, but still a decent show, I won't be able to bring myself to like it. All of this could have been avoided had they made TCW's exit a bit neater and less sudden.

Second is the new stuff I've been hearing about it. At first I thought Rebels sounded very cool. However, recent updates have described the show as focusing on teenagers who have enlisted in the Rebel Alliance. Can you hear the groans of disappointment? Who wants to watch a bunch of smartass brand-new kids parade around the screen shooting down TIE-fighters who can't pilot worth a damn?! I don't!! Thus, if that is most of what Rebels will be about, I am going to be one grumpy Sith. However, that is not to say the show still doesn't seem promising. We could be seeing a lot of of great stuff on the origins of the Rebel Alliance, background on EU or lesser-known characters, and all the gooey goodness in that gap dividing the Prequel and Original Trilogies. They never said we wouldn't see some TCW characters make an appearance, either. So there's a chance that characters like Ahsoka Tano, Darth Maul, Asajj Ventress, Hondo Ohnaka, and (of course!!) Cad Bane could come back! We could see a lot of fantastic story arcs that feature old favorites as well as new ones. However, none of this has been confirmed yet, so for now it is all wishful thinking.

Also, we have not seen any animation from Rebels. One thing I do look forward to is how they plan to animate this show. We're not even sure if it will be 2D or 3D animation. I am okay with 3D but I prefer 2D all the way, so having a new show in place of TCW could mean we get to see that. If they dare to go 2D with a whole new style and look, the show could be amazing. But again, they have not confirmed this, so this is also wishful thinking.

One more thought and then I'll close. Long before Rebels was announced, there was also talk of a live-action, adult-rated show called Star Wars: Underworld. This is something I would have preferred to see. From what I've read Underworld would have focused on the criminal empires following Revenge of the Sith and moved away from the main characters in the movies. I read it would have been similar to The Godfather movies in its mood and style along with some black comedy elements. Now that sounds awesome. And as for whether this show is still in the making, or if Rebels has replaced Underworld, has still not been confirmed. I just think it would be interesting for these shows to be aired alongside each other. Two viewpoints on the same era...one for the kids and one for the adults. Sounds pretty cool to me!

So Rebels? Eh...one, it had best give something back to people who loved TCW. Two, it should not just be about teenagers. Three, I hope they go with 2D animation and a whole new look and feel for the Star Wars universe. In a word, this had better be good.




Well, see you later for Part Two! 

2 comments:

  1. That's a good point about Rebels, that we'll keep comparing it to The Clone Wars. I'm not completely on board with it yet either, but the possibility of some TCW characters coming back is exciting. Ooh yes, Ahsoka, Hondo, and Cad Bane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of anticipating we'll see TCW characters at least in partial roles in Rebels; otherwise they would not have cancelled the show. It just makes sense!

      Thank you for the comment! :3

      Delete