Saturday, October 5, 2013

Songs of the Week - The Hunger Games

"Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet."
― Plato 


 This week in light of the release of the Catching Fire soundtrack, I thought I would share my favorite songs from the The Hunger Games: Music From District 12 and Beyond. In regards to soundtracks - meaning songs inspired by the film, not music in the film - The Hunger Games has got to be one of my top favorites. Not many of these type of soundtracks can capture the emotion, setting, and mood of the story, and only do one of the three. That's why I love this one so much.

Even so, I think Catching Fire's soundtrack is going to be even better and I can't wait to get it 





// Of course this had to make the list. This is definitely the most popular song off the soundtrack and was the first single released for the album. It's a sweet, sad, and haunting lullaby, and for those who know how The Hunger Games trilogy ends, the song's lyrics ring all the more tragic and deep. //




// I love, love, love this song! Maybe there is a sentimentality to it, since I can remember listening to it echo around the movie theatre at about 2:30 AM as the credits started rolling, but even so, it is a fantastic song. The symbolism behind a Biblical story with a twist ties in perfectly with Katniss' story, and also, the song is quite energizing. I get very excited and Hunger Games-crazy whenever I listen to it //






// OK it was a toss-up between this one and another great song, "Eyes Open". I love it so much because unlike most of the other songs focused on Katniss or Peeta, this song focuses on the Careers and other tributes, and it carries a very brooding, eerie feel to it but also a tone of sadness I don't think we understood until Cato's little monologue at the end of the movie. //




// And of course, this one is my top favorite on the soundtrack. The message is raw and real, Katniss and Peeta's emotions described perfectly. And I love Birdy's singing voice. It's amazing. //

2 comments:

  1. I've only ever heard Safe And Sound and I honestly love it. Not just because its T-Swizzle and the Civil Wars but still. lol. I actually met the girl from the Civil Wars like, forever ago, before she was in that group. So I really love her. She's so sweet:) And I love Taylor Swift. lol.

    But that song is so soft and lovely.

    ReplyDelete