Saturday, December 7, 2013

Remember Pearl Harbor




President Franklin D. Roosevelt: Yesterday, December 7, 1941—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.


This is a day that no American should ever, ever forget. It is the day that brought the Second World War to our shores. The day that decided the fate of hundreds of thousands of lives. The day that would eventually lead to transforming the United States into a global superpower.

Today take a moment to remember the significance of what happened today, and all that would become because of it. It is our duty to remember. Not just today, of course, but every day!

I spent yesterday at the National World War II Museum in New Orleans (which was the reason for us coming here). I was tearing up before we even entered the exhibit hall; that is how emotional I was. We saw a 4D film called "Beyond All Boundaries", which made me cry harder than I have cried in a long time. The experience as a whole was breathtaking. For many of the things I read, photographs I saw, testimonies of eyewitnesses...there are no words.

For me the stories of World War II hit a very deep and personal note, one that's far deeper than any effect a fiction book, movie, show, or anything has had or ever will have on me. It is a long story, but to sum it up, this changed my life. So for me, I can NEVER forget. Should I ever let myself forget, I would lose a part of myself.

December 7 is an emotional day for me. I could write a whole post about it, but I am running out of time because we will be leaving soon. To put it bluntly, this date was extremely significant and would in time change the world. I'll say this again...we should never forget.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, sister. It IS a day we should never forget, though as time has healed the wounds it has faded into the past and many of us have forgotten. Pearl Harbor was a major turning point both historically and politically, and many lives were lost and many more damaged that day. Recently I've actually been thinking a lot about what it means to be a soldier for your country. While I know there are a lot of people who join the army for the glory they think they can get from war heroics, to escape a bad home situation, or just to challenge themselves personally, I also know there are many who go into the service knowing that they could be called upon to pay the ultimate price for their country. Which sets me to thinking. What can make you love your country so much you'd die for it? After all, the ugly truth is, there are literally NO people outside of your nuclear family and friends who are going to care if you die overseas protecting American ideals. Is it love for the people back home that they care about that makes them go bravely to fight? or something else? Dedication to the ideas that the US stands for? I'd love to talk to some people who have actually served and find out the answers to such questions...

    Anyway, I'm glad you had such a wonderfully thought-provoking and moving time at the museum, and I hope you have many such experiences in the future!

    ReplyDelete