Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Birthday

In three days I will be eighteen years old. I think it will be a fun day, but not all that exciting.

It is funny how I used to fantasize about becoming a legal adult when I was in middle school and long before that. I don't remember what my plans were for that day but I know I was convinced it was going to be epic. Having a big potluck, bonfire, and campout outside for a bunch of friends and family, probably, and then doing a marathon of all my favorite movies.

But now it is almost here and I am not going to do much of anything to celebrate. I guess it's just because my family has never been much for celebrating birthdays. We buy a couple presents for the person and that is about it. This is mostly because "celebrating" is so expensive nowadays, even if you just go out to eat at a restaurant or something, and we prefer saving our money. I had planned that our family was going to go see a movie in the movie theater on my birthday, but those plans were cancelled because theaters cost a lot and I figured it made much more sense to rent the movie on DVD later for free.

This year my birthday happens to land on Easter Sunday. So I am going to spend most of the morning at church because there is a very good brunch and they put a lot of heart into the service. After that we will go home and my mom will fix a nice fruit salad sort of dish and I get to open my gifts. I think we will just "hang out" at home for the rest of the day, and for us that could mean anything. Maybe I will watch all ten of Cad Bane's episodes in "The Clone Wars" back to back and make everyone else watch them with me. Or we could just chill and talk, which I love doing anyway. My dad and I will most likely have another table tennis tournament since I am determined to get very good at it.

I don't know...I guess it might have been nice to have something "huge" happen, something to commemorate that I have made it this far, just like how I used to imagine this day would be like when I was young. But a day is a day. So I guess I'm also okay with celebrating quietly. I don't know what sort of gifts my family has for me this year; I never expect more than two, three at most, but I honestly don't care that much what I get. They forced me to make a list so they knew what I wanted and now I cannot even remember what was on the list.

Anyway, it will not be a very exciting birthday, but I get to spend it at home and with the people I care most about, so that makes it a good day.

While I am here you might as well know a few other interesting facts about my birthday!

On this day in history:

1453 - the last naval battle in Byzantine history
1775 - the Siege of Boston begins in the American Revolution
1836 - Wisconsin Territory is created by Congress
1916 - Chicago Cubs play their first game in current-day Wrigley Field
1946 - the League of Nations dissolved
1999 - Columbine High School shooting
2008 - Danica Patrick wins Japan 300 and becomes first female driver to win an Indycar race

Famous people born on this day:

Napoleon III (1808-1873)
Adolf Hitler (1889-1945)   Fun fact: this shared birthday is a running gag in our family.
Lt. Ronald Speirs (1920-2007)
Andy Serkis (1964-  )

Other fun facts:

April 20 is the 110th day of the year and there are 255 days left in the year.
April 20 is also known as 4/20 in cannabis culture, and is a day when people celebrate and enjoy marijuana extensively and sometimes in large assemblies.
April 20 is still annually celebrated as "Hitler's birthday" by Neo-Nazis and white supremacists.
April 20 is also National Look-Alike Day and National Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Day.


So there you go, that is the day I was born. I know, fun, right? Nazis and marijuana, and this year, Easter Sunday. What a great day to be born, indeed.

4 comments:

  1. The Cubs played their first game at Wrigley! Woo! I love the Cubs:)

    Anyhow, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you have a wonderful day and that its 20x better than you had planned. Congrats on making it this far! Thats awesome. Your birthday does fall on quite the day. but nonetheless I hope it rocks.

    You're awesome:) Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a Cubs fan too YAY!!!

      Thank you!! <3

      Delete
  2. Hi Stilwater!

    Well, I hope that you have an absolutely awesome birthday that it is a lot more exciting and interesting that you expect. I hope you get wonderful presents and even some interesting surprises, and I hope that you enjoy the Easter Sunday celebrations at your church. HAPPY EIGHTEENTH BIRTHDAY!!!

    -Towa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I wish all the same for your birthday as well! :) <3

      Delete