Monday, December 7, 2015

Final thoughts on TFA

Good news - I'm seeing The Force Awakens on the night of the 17th! Only ten more days!


I do plan to post two reviews for the movie on this blog. One will be spoiler-free and one will contain spoilers. Hopefully I will be able to see it again on the 20th, and if so, I will wait to post my review until then because seeing it a second time may help.

I know I have not talked much about TFA on my blog, and that's pretty much because I don't want to say too much about it until I've actually seen it. Overall, I'm wary but still excited for it.

I'm excited because, well, it's Star Wars. And I love Star Wars. I love the aliens, technology, space battles, everything about it. And that makes me excited for TFA because I can't wait to see all the new world-building (or I guess I should say galaxy-building??). What I'll really be paying attention to are new droids, ships, planets, and creatures, all the little things that fill up the background and bring that galaxy to life. I'm also going to be paying close attention to any background cameos or spoken references to things that happened earlier on in the saga, since I'm a huge sucker for those too.

And of course, I'm excited for how they're going to continue the story of the Empire, the Skywalker family, and the Jedi and Sith. I'm honestly more wary than excited but I'll talk more about that in a bit. I know for sure that I'm going to really love some of the new characters, and hope that characters we already know are treated well and given fair development.

Basically, I'm looking forward to seeing how they connect TFA to the rest of the Star Wars saga...how they're going to bring in things that we already know while introducing new things at the same time. And I know that it's going to be lots of fun seeing it finally after over three years of anticipation. It's a given that no matter what, seeing Star Wars on the big screen again is going to be a lot of fun.

I mentioned I'm also wary of TFA. The biggest thing that worries me about the new Star Wars films is that they are no longer part of George Lucas' original vision. He brought his entire story to life in the form of six films that are intricately wound together and connected, just the way they were supposed to be. An example of this is described well is Mike Klimo's brilliant and eye-opening "Ring Theory." It's a long read, but totally worth it and it's one of my top favorite analyses of the Star Wars Prequels.

But TFA, and its sequels, are not part of that original vision anymore. They are someone else's ideas. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and maybe it's good that other people are telling the next chapter of the Star Wars story. However, I loved Lucas' story, and the fact that he's not a part of Star Wars anymore leaves me doubtful of how well the storytelling will be. But maybe I'm wrong.

Another thing that worries me is the driving force behind the new Star Wars films, which is of course corporate greed. I'm concerned that the new films are only going to give us what the filmmakers know will sell well. That doesn't mean the movies will be terrible, but it does mean it's driven by money. I already anticipate a lot of fanservice will happen in TFA and its sequels - dialogue, duels, and other moments that the audience wants. But just because it's what we want doesn't mean it's good for the Star Wars story. Basically, I worry that corporate greed is going to wreck Star Wars permanently.

Now, a while back, I heard a rumor that there will be an after-credits teaser trailer for Rogue One, the Star Wars stand-alone film being released a year from now. I don't know if this is true, but just in case I'm sitting through the entire credit roll.

As I mentioned in a post back in July, there is also an unconfirmed report / rumor that Cad Bane is going to make his live-action debut in Rogue One. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll see a glimpse of him in the rumored Rogue One teaser trailer.



And while I'm on Rogue One, I find myself more excited for this film than TFA. Rogue One is going to show us the "dark, gritty" side of the GFFA which I'm all for anyway. It's not going to have any Jedi or Sith, to which I say good, they have seven films and more coming up already and they're not the only important people in the galaxy. And it's going to have bounty hunters, possibly Bane. I'm disappointed but not surprised at the lack of attention Rogue One has been getting since we only have a year left to wait...obviously, everything is about TFA now. So hopefully we'll get a lot more Rogue One hype after TFA is released.

Anyway, this is all I can really put out there before I see TFA for myself ten days from now. I know this blog has not been very active over the last few months, but after TFA and once more Rogue One content is released, definitely expect me to be posting more to this blog!

May the Force be with you



1 comment:

  1. Im seeing TFA that night too! I cant wait! Obviously Im still salty about the EU thing because the books are what got me into the SW universe, so that hurts still; and I bet it always will. but nonetheless, I cant wait. yes, Im wary as well. I dont want to get my hopes up, but I mean, its Star Wars. If they put out a silent film I would probably watch it. haha.
    Im going to see at twice as well, possibly a third time, if I have the money. Im going to take my family as a christmas present to them; so Im excited to see my little siblings get to see it on the big screen.

    I cant wait to read your review too and hear what you think!:)

    may the Force be with us all.

    ReplyDelete